It finally feels like winter with snow blanketing streets across the Northeast this morning. And while the cold weather might be sending our wanderlust into overdrive, there’s perhaps nothing more relaxing than a warm winter meal on a snowy night in. With the work week coming to a close, take a moment to enjoy some welcomed R&R and treat yourself to a bucket-list inspired evening at home tonight with some cooking inspiration from our Thailand travel.
Dream of Thailand Travel as You Taste Tom Kha Gai
A hit on our Thai Culinary Tour, this recipe for Tom Kha Gai, a chicken coconut soup, is perfect for a cold evening – boasting a phenomenal blend of sweet and spicy flavors that will tempt your taste buds. Enjoy!
TOM KHA GAI – Chicken in Coconut Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
A coconut-based soup with a similar taste palate to tom yum soup, this version is sweeter due to the addition of coconut milk.
· 1/4 pound of chicken breast, thinly sliced
· ¾ cup chicken broth
· 5 thin slices of galangal
· ½ cup coconut milk
· 1 tablespoon fish sauce
· 1 tablespoon lemon juice
· 5 thin sliced young galangal
· 2 stalks lemongrass cut in 1 inch lengths, crushed
· 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves torn in half
· 1-3 red and green fresh chilies, thinly sliced for seasoning and garnish
· Coriander leaves, clipped for garnish
· Salt to taste
Note: Regular galangal is woody and not edible. Young galangal is tender and is eaten in the soup.
1. Boil chicken broth with galangal for aroma, approximately 3-5 minutes
2. Take out galangal and add chicken, sliced young galangal, coconut milk, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves.
3. Cover and simmer on low heat until chicken is cooked. Time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken slices.
4. Remove from heat and take out lemongrass
5. Season with fish sauce, lemon juice and salt to taste
Garnish with coriander leaves and red and green chilies just before serving.